Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chili!

I don't have too many photos this time, but I didn't really feel like standing on my feet in the kitchen today, so I made some chili in the slow cooker.

I had made some homemade pickled jalapeƱo peppers from the book Fermented by Jill Ciciarelli, so I added those in for some extra flavor. 


It took me about 30 minutes to prep, I browned the meat while cutting the vegetables. Then I let it cook on low for about 3 hours before I turned it down to "keep warm."


Here's what I used:
1 lb. grass fed ground beef, browned 
1 lb. ground turkey, browned 
1 large can organic diced tomatoes
2 cans organic tomato sauce
1 can organic red kidney beans, rinsed (optional-- I don't eat them, but the hubs does)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
5 small garlic cloves (2 larger ones)
4 (or more) slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1-2 tbsp. raw, local honey
For the Chili Seasoning (sometimes store bought chili seasoning packets have flour and sugar added. When you make your own, you can control the amount of salt if you are watching your sodium intake.)
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Here's what to do:
Throw it all in the slow cooker, stir it up, turn it to low and let all the flavors mix together for a few hours, until you are ready to eat.

Tip: If you like your chili more chunky, take the lid off for 20 minutes, or put it on sideways for an hour and some of the water will evaporate 

Serve it up in your favorite bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment