Monday, July 29, 2013

Taco Night!

We love Mexican food at our house! It's easy to do without the sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chips!!!

Here is how we like to have "taco night:"

This is 3 (2 was enough!) lettuce wraps filled with my original recipe for Mexi-meatballs, guacamole, homemade salsa, and cilantro leaves. 

When I was looking up recipes for Mecican style meatballs, I couldn't find anything that I really thought would work. So, I took some chances and made up my own recipe. They were good...and even the hubs thought so!


I started with ground turkey, but wanted a little more flavor, so I bought some spicy Italian sausage (chorizo would have been ideal, but they didn't have that at the store I went to). 

Next I added in some finely chopped green bell peps. 


Then some finely chopped onions. 


Some finely chopped garlic and cilantro leaves. 


I LOVE green/verde salsa. I do have a recipe for it, but they had some at the store that didn't have any bad ingredients... So I took the easy way out. I added about a cup to the mix. 


Then I sprinkled with just a bit if chili powder. 

I mixed it all up to check the consistency. I decided that I needed some almond meal to dry it up a bit and then the egg would make it stickier. 


I didn't take a photo of it all mixed up because my hands were too messy! I shaped them into balls (duh!) and fried them in just a bit of oil. 

Note: make sure they are more than halfway cooked before you turn them ... Or else, they fall apart. 


Also, please be sure they are cooked thoroughly. 

This is what taco night looks like! So. Many. Dishes. 

And this is the final product. I tried making plantain chips a couple of weeks ago and I had two plantains leftover, so instead if chips, we pan seared slices of plantains and dipped them in some guac!


Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment